Some Stuff on "Stuff"

It was a few years ago, I traveled to Costa Rica for a study abroad trip. I lived with a family and participated in a Spanish submersion program. The benefits of this trip were exponential as I not only learned some of the language, I learned somewhat extensively about their culture and got a first hand look at their day-to-day lives. It was my place to become part of their family and help with daily activities as well as experience the richness that is Costa Rica. The trip will be forever etched in my mind and heart.
Poas Volcano Lagoon

One thing that still stands out to this day with me about this experience is how the people of Costa Rica live with most of the same modern technologies we in the states do, but they live (and quite happily I might add) with so much less "stuff".

I recall coming home from my Central American adventure and gazing around my home in disgust. Where had all this "crap" come from and why did I think I needed it in the first place? At that time, I went on a mission to purge some of the needless "stuff" from my life. At the time I think, or I want to think, that I did pretty good.

BUT...fast forward 2 years, a degree, a marriage, job changes, major move, and assimulation of two households into one, and I look around my new home again in disgust at all the "stuff".

So I take pause this morning and ask "Why do we collect so much "stuff"? Are we all reincarnated Holocaust babies striving to have more since we lived with so little in the concentration camps? Are we children of parents from the depression that refuse to "do without"? Are we just a society of consumers living in America needing more so we can feel like we are more? Or do we just have nothing better to do with our hard earned cash in a down economy than to purchase canisters with bones and paw prints for our dog's treats?

I don't know the real answer, but I can think of better things to do with money - like give to charities or help in micro lending so that others less fortunate might have a leg up. That money could go to pay off bills or student loans, or even into a savings account (what a crazy idea, right?). I'm also of the thought that less is better - it's less to break (and have to get fixed or replaced) and if nothing else, it's less to dust, clean and put away. Lastly it provides us with a minimalist lifestyle that is just simply less clutter and less for our loved ones to have to deal with in the event of our demise. You see, you really CAN'T take it with you when you go...

So, here's a promise to myself to at least annually celebrate the wonderful experience I had in Costa Rica that year and clean out a few closets, or take a hard look around me and ask myself, "Would my Mama Tica need that in her home?" If the answer is No, then maybe I don't need it either. 


Thank you to my Mama Tica for all the lessons you taught me that year - I am grateful for all you have given me!